are christmas trees toxic to birds

Real Christmas treesNot all real trees are poisonous to birds, although some have been known to cause problems for certain species of parrots. Pine is considered a safe tree for birds, but do be mindful of any sap produced by the tree, as this can stick to your bird’s feathers.Additionally, pine has been listed as potentially harmful in some articles, but those mainly relate to wood shavings and so not relevant to bird keeping.Further, even if the tree itself is not harmful to your bird, many Christmas tree farmers use fertilisers in the water used to sustain their trees and the trees are often sprayed with chemicals.Your bird is likely to want to perch on the tree, and may nibble on the pine needles while doing so. This is potentially dangerous, as pine needles are naturally prickly and can cause injury when ingested.

So, just to be safe, it is probably best to have an artificial tree unless you intend to hike into the wilderness and chop down your own tree (good luck with that!).

Artificial Christmas treesGenerally speaking, artificial trees are not harmful to pet birds, including parrots. However, bear in mind that your bird may still try to nibble on the branches of the tree, especially if it is very realistic looking.

As previously stated, be aware that pine needles—real or fake—are prickly and can be harmful if consumed.

Check if your parrot is insured. We’ve been insuring exotic pets since 1996. Get a quote for up to £5,000 in vet fees, theft, and death benefits. See our customer reviews on Feefo.

Real-Life Holiday Mishaps

are christmas trees toxic to birds

Real-Life Cases from Dr. Greg Burkett, Board-Certified Avian Veterinarian; www.thebirdvet.com

While the holiday feast was being prepared, a lutino cockatiel was circling around the kitchen. She stumbled into a simmering pot of soup on the stove by accident. She presented with redness or hyperemia in her feet, adnexal (the tissue around her eyes), cere, beak, and skin on the bald spot on her head. Lesions were not visible at first after the incident, but after 30 to 45 minutes, all of the exposed parts of her body had third-degree burns.

If third-degree burns do not cover a significant area of the body, birds may occasionally survive them. However, in this instance, the boiling water was swallowed and inhaled into the sinuses and mouth. The bird suffered severe internal burns from which it was unable to recover.

Another case involved a blue-and-gold macaw. The owner reported that his macaw was unsteady and unable to perch when he called the hospital. Upon examining the bird upon its arrival, I discovered that it had become distended with food. The owner subsequently stated that he had fed the bird an entire bag of Doritos chips. The bird showed signs of salt toxicity. He was treated and released with no longterm problems. Without medical attention, his bird might have died or suffered irreversible brain damage.

I saw a budgie that was permitted to play in the Christmas tree last year. He was brought in because the feathers in his abdomen were stuck to his feet. He’s tried, in vain, to free his feet by chewing on them. The proprietors believed they could free the bird’s feet and clean it. They took a 20-minute bath before deciding they needed professional assistance. That as good, but the decision was made too late. The bird became too hot to handle after being bathed and trying to get rid of the sap. The stress and the hyperthermia lead to the bird’s death. ”.

Real-Life Cases from Laura Wade, DVM, Dipl. ABVP (Avian); Specialized Care for Avian & Exotic Pets; www.buffalobirdnerd.com

During the holidays, one of my patients’ cockatiels flew through a lit candle and scorched its tail feathers. Close call, but it could have been worse. Candles at the holidays are dangerous, especially with flighted birds. When birds are allowed access to a Christmas tree, customers should exercise caution because the birds may gnaw on lights, break glass ornaments, or remove glitter from ornaments, which could expose them to lead or other harmful substances. ).

Having your parrot assist you in opening Christmas presents could be a good foraging exercise, but watch out for foil ribbons, bows, and other decorations. , which might have toxic metals (zinc, lead) in them. Naturally, exercise caution when gaining access to cookies that may contain chocolate, etc.

Real-Life Cases: Jennifer Bloss, DVM, Brook-Falls Veterinary Hospital & Exotic Care: www.brook-falls.com

“Our client hosted their grandchildren at their home for the holidays.” One curious cockatoo discovered a cache of multiple snack-sized wrapped dark chocolate bars that had been concealed in a couch by one of the kids once the pitter patter of tiny feet had gone home. Fortunately, the cockatoo was discovered shortly after she began tinkering with the wrappers, which served as evidence, and she proceeded to carefully unwrap and consume all four bars!

The owners rushed her to our hospital. The lovely umbrella cockatoo smelled like chocolate when she kissed me, and her crop showed off the dark chocolate flavor of her breath! She was such a sweet girl that we had no trouble taking care of her. We inserted a gavage tube and used heated saline solution to flush out her crop.

In order to remove any poisons that might have already entered her gastrointestinal system, we also gave her a dose of activated charcoal. She fared extremely well and showed no clinical symptoms of chocolate toxicity. So, after all the guests have left and you are enjoying the quiet once more, make sure to bird-proof your home! She did check the couch every day for a few weeks, looking for more chocolate!

Another client allowed her bird to perch on her shoulder and mingle with her guests during a holiday celebration. The bird flew off her shoulder as dinner was cooking, landed in a frying pan on the stove, and flew into the kitchen. Fortunately, there was not any hot oil or food in the pan because it was only beginning to heat up. With haste, the bird was picked up and its feet were submerged in cold running water.

The owner’s action saved the bird’s life! The bird had second-degree burns on his feet, but he recovered completely after a few days in the hospital receiving wound care, bandage changes, fluid therapy, and painkillers.

The safest place for pet birds to be during parties and holiday get-togethers is inside their cages! Even the calmest and most docile pet birds can become agitated during a party! ”.

are christmas trees toxic to birds

are christmas trees toxic to birds

are christmas trees toxic to birds

are christmas trees toxic to birds

are christmas trees toxic to birds

are christmas trees toxic to birds

are christmas trees toxic to birds

are christmas trees toxic to birds

are christmas trees toxic to birds

are christmas trees toxic to birds

FAQ

Are real Christmas trees toxic to animals?

The Dangers Associated With Christmas Trees Live Trees: Fir, spruce, and pine trees make excellent Christmas trees and are generally non-toxic to pets. The needles, however, can cause oral irritation and in excessive amounts, gastrointestinal upset.

Is pine toxic to birds?

No, Pine trees aren’t toxic.

Is Christmas tree flock toxic?

While most flocked trees are made from non-toxic materials, inhaling large amounts of dust or particles can still pose a health risk to cats. Additionally, it is important to be mindful of any small decorations or ornaments that may be easily ingested by curious cats.